Benefits of transit-oriented development include:
- Reduced vehicle miles traveled (VMT) which lowers regional congestion, air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Walkable communities that accommodate more healthy and active lifestyles.
- Increased transit ridership and fare revenue.
- Potential for added value created through increased and/or sustained property values.
- Improved access to job centers and economic opportunity for low-income people and working families.
- Expanded mobility choices that reduce automobile dependence, reduce transportation costs and increase disposable income.
Source: 2010 Inventory of TOD Programs: A National Review of State, Regional and Local Programs that Fund Transit-Oriented Development Plans and Projects (January 2011, Reconnecting America)
Incoming search terms:
- Benefits of Transit Oriented Development
- america\s dependence on the automobile